Water Works

In the late 1800’s and early 1900’s, the City of Erie was having issues with typhoid fever due to sewage water flowing into the bay. The Erie Water Works established a plan to extend the water line through the peninsula five thousand feet into Lake Erie. Construction began in 1903, and by 1908 the Water Works area was complete on the peninsula, including two man-made settling ponds allowing the sediment to settle and then get pumped over to the Erie Water Works building. The photograph is an aerial view of the water works area in 1948.